About a month ago, Davin exclaimed, "I have a fun project for us to do!"
(As if our other projects aren't fun..?!?)
"What is it?"
"My friend just had a baby, and wants an alphabet for the wall. I thought we could do a wood type print for him..?"
"Yes! let's! - we'll each do a different one and the baby can choose his favorite."
That's how this print started for me. I anticipated it to be an afternoon project, but more than three weeks later, I am just finishing.
I did a set of alphabet flash cards a few years ago, and these came to mind when I started this. I used some printers cuts from Woodside, and decided I would experiment with how I printed the color of the cuts. I also added some tiny type (my favorite).
I've loved working on this piece, so much so, I got a weekend job to support more un-comissioned work like this. This print was the unexpected push I needed.
It's helped remind me of what got me so entwined in this craft, and the inspiration I get when hunting through different letterpress shops. It was refreshing to get absorbed in this print for the last month, while transitioning into Spring 2015 and a new home.
I'm now settling into Crown Heights - Brooklyn; nestled in an apartment a block away from MassArt friends. Here is where I will hang my personal edition of Sorts and Cuts.
Below are photos of the process to make Sorts and Cuts: